För första gången på över fyra år har Aung San Suu Kyi kunnat meddela sig med omvärlden. Efter att juntan satt henne i en ny arrest den 30 maj 2003 har hon varit i det närmaste helt isolerad i sitt hem på University Avenue. Under de senaste veckorna har hon dock fått träffa en representant för juntan och FN:s sändebud Ibrahim Gambari. Det är den senare som tagit med sig följande uttalande:
Text of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's statement released by the U.N. Envoy
- I wish to thank all those who have stood by my side all this time, both inside and outside my
country. I am also grateful to the Secretary-General of the United Nations, Mr. Ban Ki-moon, for his unwavering support for the cause of national reconciliation, democracy and human rights in my country.
- I welcome the appointment on 8 October of Minister Aung Kyi as Minister for Relations. Our
first meeting on 25 October was constructive and I look forward to further regular discussions. I expect that this phase of preliminary consultations will conclude soon so that a meaningful and timebound dialogue with the SPDC leadership can start as early as possible.
- In the interest of the nation, I stand ready to cooperate with the Government in order to make this process of dialogue a success and welcome the necessary good offices role of the
United Nations to help facilitate our efforts in this regard.
- In full awareness of the essential role of political parties in democratic societies, in deep
appreciation of the sacrifices of the members of my party and in my position as General
Secretary, I will be guided by the policies and wishes of the National League for Democracy.
However, in this time of vital need for democratic solidarity and national unity, it is my duty to
give constant and serious considerations to the interests and opinions of as broad a range of
political organizations and forces as possible, in particular those of our ethnic nationality races.
- To that end, I am committed to pursue the path of dialogue constructively and invite the
Government and all relevant parties to join me in this spirit.
- I believe that stability, prosperity and democracy for my country, living at peace with itself
and with full respect for human rights, offers the best prospect for my country to fully contribute to the development and stability of the region in close partnership with its neighbors and fellow ASEAN members, and to play a positive role as a respected member of the international community.